Monday 18 October 2010

Best story wins. period.



Tom Peters represents everything about American style management consultants that we love to hate. He's from the loud, brash, gun-slinging McKinsey school of business. But, having sat through a motivational talk (he charged approx. NZ$150000) and read a number of his books I can't help but love the guy.

I just came across this clip from his business strategy series. I love the simplicity of his point that the best story wins.

He argues two things: that the story is more powerful than the brand (the brand is the story) and most importantly that the best story wins. Brands need to translate anything that they do into a short punchy story. It's stuff we all know and it's skills as a motivator which makes it fresh again.

I'm currently working (and struggling) to nail that 30 sec story about a new business. After listening to this in my heart of hearts I know it's back to the drawing board... Good is not good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment